It is funny that we think about what we want from our testers more often during recruitment or during their performance reviews. Is this correct? No. We should be thinking about it consciously & unconsciously all the time so that we correct the course for them and help the test professionals move along the path to progress and prosperity in their working lives. This also ensures that the test professionals are motivated, aware and prepare for what lies ahead and maybe beyond them for now.
As a Test Leader – here are my very high level expectations from testers from their birth to their coming of age (well.. almost… but then do we ever stop growing in wisdom and bettering ourselves).
The expectations are like a knowledge pot that fills up with goodies as he moves on from one milestone to another as he discovers, digs, fights, raves, exults and much much more in his journey from being novice to better to best. (hear that applause growing louder from a clap to a thunder-claps – aah recognition!)
|Test Trainee||– Conceptually strong
– Deeply interested in testing
|fresh out of Edu. / Trng Institute|
|Jr. Test Analyst||– Experience of employing testing techniques to discover bugs and unravel unknown appln. information.||< 2 years|
|Automation Engineer||– Can manual test v efficiently.
– Understands Automation pros & cons
– Technically adept
|> 2 years|
|Test Analyst||– Elucidates knowledge of nuances of phases from req. understanding to design to bug triage to regression testing fixes/changes.||> 2 years|
|Sr. Test Analyst||– Can test & tear with ease.
– Strong domain, technical & testing skills
– Very good commn. & negoiation skills.
– Aware of team dynamics
|> 4 years|
|Sr. Automation Engineer||– 2 yrs Exp with working on Tools
– Can automate without a tool. (Eg. with Perl/Ruby scripts)
|> 3 years|
|Test Lead (Automation)||– 2 years Exp in leading automation teams.
– Designs holistic solutions with an eye on future.
– Can make best use of diverse technology to achieve ends.
|> 4 years|
|Test Lead||– 2 years Exp in leading teams & strategising testing
– Uses tools effectively.
– Very skilled in problem solving / multi-tasking.
– Collaborates & sets expectations across teams without fuss.
– Slippage handling with finesse
|> 4 years|
|Asst. Test Manager||– 4 years Exp in leading teams & strategising testing
– Collaborates with business & prioritises tasks accordingly.
– ProActive risk mitigation
|> 5 years|
|Test Manager/Leader||– Recruit, scale and build the team with the right elements and right mix with vision.
– Ensure leadership, management & utilisation to achieve timelines & drive business ahead.
– Coordinate correct and timely communication to all concerned.
– Ensure preparedness of team in respect of testing, domain and technical aspects through training and mentoring.
|> 8 years|
Personality traits like Maturity befitting the age, good attitude towards work (testing) & peers with an demonstrable ability to bond, listening skills and industriousness are default expectations for all roles.
While experience is important in judging competence of an individual it must be taken as an input to be verified and by no means as an unquestioned authoritative vote of competence.